So – you want to buy a boat – congratulations!
Some people buy boats because they’ve made the decision to get away with family and friends and go to places where landlubbers can’t go. Lakes, bays, rivers, sounds, harbors, islands, and even oceans are suddenly available for your exploration when you own a boat.
Whatever your reason for buying a boat, you are making a lifestyle choice, and the following questions are aimed at helping you get the most out of the experience while avoiding some pitfalls in the process.
Sea Marine has a great selection of boats for sale that you are welcome to look at in our Point Hudson boatyard in Port Townsend. As you look at these boats, you can consider your needs and your budget. Often, just looking can help you make a decision. We’re here to answer any questions you might have.
Remember – we are here to help you in making these decisions.
WHAT ACTIVITIES ARE YOU INTERESTED IN? WHO ELSE NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED IN THESE DECISIONS?
- Sailing-cruising or racing? How many do you need to sleep? How big a crew?
- Cruising-overnight or day. How long do you plan to be on the boat and how far do you plan to travel? What do you need to be comfortable and safe for the long haul?
- Fishing-In the Sound or in the ocean? Crabbing? How much gear will you carry?
- Entertainment-You’d like to spend time with friends aboard. Boats are great for intimate dinners, destination travel as a group or just for an afternoon aboard on a warm summer day. You don’t even have to go anywhere, just invite friends down to the dock for an after-work drink, an evening glass of wine.
- Just Noodling Around with the Family-Many people buy boats to introduce their kids to fishing, swimming off the stern, overnights in small coves in a bunk, rocked to sleep. Your children never forget their time with you aboard a boat. And chores are more fun aboard too.
HOW NEW ARE YOU TO BOATING?
- You’re new to the whole boating scene, but you’d sure like to be part of it, and need some guidance in the right direction.
- You have some experience but have much to learn
- Maybe you are considering a change of direction in your boating plans, such as going from power to sail, upgrading, downgrading to a rowboat.
- Are you planning that passage you’ve always promised yourself?
WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?
- If you buy an older boat, do you have the money to make repairs?
- How much boat can you afford to moor and where? There are vast differences in moorage and storage fees depending on where you berth your boat. Also, have you checked out the waiting list at your marina of choice?
- Can you afford regular maintenance and how will you estimate the costs?
To Speak to one of our brokers please call 360-385-4000