The Corsair is a twenty-eight foot beamy sloop designed by Slabby Larsen and built at the famous JENSEN boatyard in Denmark in 1960. She was shipped over in a container to the US and landed in Oakland where she embarked on her life in the San Francisco Bay. Completely retrofitted in the 80’s, she came to her recent owners hands as a yellow painted boat in 2012. Then began her transformation into a bright hull and many other upgrades. Recent haul out and extensive work by Bruce Tipton of Port Townsend, 2016. She is a fine live-aboard actually with a spacious 9-6 beam. As her current Boatright said; “She’s a big little boat.”
- Vessel Name: Corsair
- Located In: Port Townsend, Point Hudson MArina
- Documented Vessel ID:
- Builder: Jenson Boatyard
- Model: Sloop
- Year: 1960
- Designer: Slabby Larson
- LOA: 28′
- LOD: 28‘
- LWL: 24′
- Beam: 9’6″
- Draft: 5’6″
- Hull Material: Wood
- Keel Bolts: Stainless for external iron keel
- Keel: Full
- Engine 1
- Engine Brand: Perkins
- Year Built:
- Engine Model: 28hp
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
- Engine Hours: unknown
- Drive Type: direct
- Engine Power: 28hp
- V-Berth Forward
- Marine Head
- Galley with Alcohol 2 burner stove
Hull and Superstructure –
- Deck: teak on marine plywood
- Cabin Sole: Solid Mahogany
Bulkheads: Painted Wood
Construction Scantling:Traditional carvel planking, Honduros Mahogany over Oak hardwood frames; original frames
Deck Clamps: Mahogany
Deck Beams: Oak
Rudder: Oak horn timber and mahogany.
- Fastenings: Bronze
- Keel bolts: stainless for external iron keel
- Mast: Spruce spar
- generator, inverter, shore power, batteries, pumps, AC/DC, solar
- New Charger, batteries in good condition (ship and engine), electric bilge pump
- Tiller: Fine Oak
- Rudder: Mahogany
Bilge: 12v, auto manual.
Stove: Origo 3000, Alcohol 2 burner
- Holding Tank: 2014 10 gallons with sanitation hose and 2 airvents
- Current owner 15 years- liveaboard 10 years
- She’s super spacious for her size
- Tight-seamed – so well built
- Owner selling to restore her big 47 footer built in the same yard.
- She’s not slow! Best elapsed time in Master Mariners Race.
- Recent professional work: opening up and Re-seaming and restoration of toe-rail refastened to deck. Repair/ reseal of deck seams especially at cabin house. Plank repair at toe-rail/top hull plank. Mast step and wiring checked and complete varnish/paint of mast, summer 2016.
- New batteries – September 2017
- Engine repair and rebuild work including starter/ generator and water pump-2016-now.
- Varnish w coats fresh top-side and transom – September 2017
- New varnish 10 coats on cabin top and cockpit and fresh paint late summer 2016.
- Wiring check 2016 and current.
- Careful maintenance yearly.
- Rib sister lazarette – 2016
- Rib sisters aft and mid ships – 2012
- Partial plank replacement – 2003